The prototype type II was replaced by number 74, the second to last to be built by SPEL, with the build contract moved to Fraser Fire in Lower Hutt. The appliance was very similar to the original prototype design with similar locker layouts, but had a PTO driven Darley JMP500 pump, rather than having the second rear engine, also was painted in the new NZFS colour branding. The appliance served Greytown well for 5 years and was redeployed to Taranaki to replace an aging relief appliance.
In 2005 Greytown was chosen to receive the prototype Iveco Type II appliance because of its relatively close proximity to the Serco Project Engineering Limited (SPEL) workshops in Trentham, Upper Hutt and its urgent need to upgrade the Hino which was now struggling to carry all the equipment required by a Pump Rescue Tender. The prototype appliance carried 1800 litres of water, the Darley JME 500 US GPM (1900lpm) 2 stage pump was powered by a seperate rear mounted engine.
In 1989 a third model of fire engine built on a Hino chassis was developed at Mills-Tui. One of these new machines, once commissioned was used for several years as an area spare, a role that was under utilising its capability somewhat. The new type Hino was a bigger machine and more suited to the needs of Greytown and in 1994 the brigade received a letter from the Fire Service saying that they would be receiving this truck, replacing the four wheel drive Hino.
In 1986, a replacement vehicle was sought to replace the aging Toyota Landcruiser. With the assistance of the Greytown Community, a Ford Courier was purchased and the rear storage compartment was swapped over.
In 1985, brand new from Mills-Tui truck builders in Rotorua, the brigade saw the long overdue arrival of a new appliance, a 1984 four wheel drive Hino. The truck was one of several of its type the Fire Service had bought that was specially designed for rural areas. The four wheel drive capability and high wheel base meant the appliance was able to going over rough rural terrain. It carried 2700 litres of water, which was twice the amount of the 1962 Karrier it replaced.
After a serious motor vehicle crash that took a life of a passenger, it was decided that specialist rescue equipment was required in the region. In 1980 the South Wairarapa community rallied together and came up with funds required to purchase the desired rescue equipment. With assistance from the Greytown Lions, the brigade was able to purchase several Vetter air bags. “The jaws of life” was also procured by the brigade, being a set of Phoenix brand hydraulic spreader/cutters, also a scoop stretcher and winch were added to the inventory. In order to get this equipment to accident scenes quickly, a Toyota Landcruiser was purchased from a local potato farmer. The Toyota arrived with only a tray on the back, so a new rear was built for the brigade and later improvements were made with locker style roller doors to allow easier access.
By 1977 the need for new appliances for Greytown became a necessity. The newly nationalised New Zealand Fire Service, upon taking control in 1976, had implemented a regional program for the replacement of appliances, depending on their priority of need and finance available. Both the Area Commander, Mr. R. Dally of Masterton and the Region Commander, Mr. D. Varley of Wellington were aware of the situation and were confident a suitable replacement would be made in the not to distant future. The Greytown Urban Fire Authority had transferred considerable assets to the Fire Services Commission, including a reserve fund for a replacement appliance totaling more than $12,000. 1978 saw the long awaited arrival a replacement second appliance, a 1967 Ford D600. The truck was ex Masterton and even though second hand, the condition was good and a credit to the Masterton Brigade who had looked after it.
It was not until 1970 that the brigade purchased a 1944 Model Ford V8 as a number two appliance. The appliance was originally from Wellington Central, had come to Greytown from Johnsonville.
At a monthly meeting of the brigade in 1962, it was moved that the brigade go ahead with raising funds for the purchase of a new appliance and that all the money raised be passed to the Borough Council as the brigades 40% contribution to the purchase price. After its fund raising efforts, in 1963 the Chief of the brigade was able to hand a cheque for £1726 to the then Mayor of Greytown. The council replied on the 17th of December with a receipt for the sum and a letter of appreciation of the efforts of the brigade and truck was bought into service a short time after.
It was on account of fire protection at the Featherston Prisoner of War Camp that in 1943 Greytown was issued with a Colonial Motors Ford V8 trailer pump. The Model T Ford was hardly up to the job of towing and the brigade’s urgent need was for a new fire engine. It was known that the War Assets Realisation Board was getting rid of many of its surplus vehicles and a 1936 30cwt International army truck was being disposed at the Army surplus sales in Paekakariki. Purchased for the sum of £226, the khaki-green Army truck was the chassis only. Plans were drawn up and local joiner Bert Trotman, donated and built the body, R.E. Fuller Ltd painted and sign write the new engine.
In 1926 the brigade decided that it needed updating the Mereweather pump and looked to purchase a 1923 Model T Ford. Unfortunately at the time the brigade was short of funds. To enable the Model T Ford to be bought, the brigade’s Captain generously provided the bridging finance of £100, which was much appreciated in difficult times. The fireman sat along the sides flanking the appliance. The crew had to use caution when riding on vehicles of this design and make sure a hand hold was taken on something solid, particularly seated on the outside during cornering.
At a meeting of the brigade held on 11th September 1888, notice was received of the arrival from London of the new fire engine, a Mereweather Hand Pump. This engine arrived on board the “SS Kaikoura” and was awaiting delivery in Wellington. The cost of this engine, £233.15s.10d and freight charges of £2.9s.6d from Wellington to Greytown was for those days rather a large amount. To launch the new fire engine, a torchlight procession, promenade concert and dance were held. Charges for the concert and dance are recorded as one shilling per person. The first public trial of the engine took place on 29th September 1888 and to mark the occasion, a dinner was held at the Forresters Arms Hotel at a cost of one shilling and sixpence per head for the dignitaries who attended.