Wanganui Fire Brigade
The Wanganui Fire Brigade is one of the oldest in the country having been formed as a volunteer unit in 1866. The volunteers managed for many years until a disasterous fire in 1918 saw their demise and the brigade reformed with paid employees and run by a Fire Board rather than the Borough Council.
A new station was built for the brigade on the corner of Guyton and Wilson Streets and this station served the station well until the late 1970's when a new modern station was constructed on the corner of Maria Place Extension and Hatrick Street. Eventually this station also needed a major renovation and this was carried out during 2014 with the whole brigade moving into temoporary premises in Gilberd Street and which was affectionately dubbed Riverview Station due to its outlook alongside the Whanganui River.
All of the refurbishment is now completed and we have fully moved back to the station.