Accessing the right psychological wellbeing support and expertise
The UFBA is seeking applications from urban and rural firefighters for our new UFBA Leading Psychological Wellbeing Workshop.
As part of our commitment to supporting volunteers, the UFBA has developed this new workshop which focuses on the wellbeing of brigade members. Fire and Emergency NZ has endorsed this course as part of their Year One Volunteer Support Initiatives.
We strongly recommend you attend a UFBA Leadership and Governance Workshop before applying for a Leading Psychological Wellbeing Workshop. Click here for details of upcoming Leadership and Governance Workshops
You have a choice of three workshops coming up in 2018:
- Friday 16 February - Saturday 17 February, or
- Friday 20 April - Saturday 21 April, or
- Friday 22 June - Saturday 23 June
The purpose of the workshop is to:
- Create a culture and environment where it is safe to discuss psychological wellbeing
- Help people get access to the right psychological wellbeing support and expertise when they need it.
Over 1.5 days, this course will look at:
- How to have the tough conversations
- How to promote a culture of openness and acceptance to wellbeing issues
- And most importantly, where to find the tools and the support for yourself and your team when wellbeing concerns are raised.
"As a rural firefighter I highly recommend this course. It helps us leaders equip our tool box with more useful tools to help our fellow firefighters that need our help and Fire and Emergency NZ are fully supporting us, looking after us and our families." Owen Taumua, Heretaunga Volunteer Rural Fire Force
Damian D'Cruz will facilitate the workshop
Damian from Mindspring Limited specialises in leadership workshops for sporting and not-for-profit organisations and has designed and facilitated adult learning since 1992. He has managed a number of leadership workshops for Sport New Zealand who describe him as a 'gifted facilitator'.
Damian has facilitated leadership training for the UFBA over the last five years. He has also run a successful coaching skills workshop for VSOs in Region 2 of Fire and Emergency NZ.
UFBA ran a 1.5 day pilot of this workshop for selected volunteer leaders including rural from representative areas around the country from 13-14 October 2017.
Click here to find out more about the pilot and see feedback from participants.
Applications for these 2018 workshops are open!
Please complete the online application here
If you have any queries please email Victoria or phone 04 237 0265.