The Combat Challenge is like a Firefighter 'Iron Man' contest and is the most physically demanding of our Challenges - so crossing the finishing line is all the more rewarding! It's earned the reputation of being 'the toughest two minutes in sport'.
Wearing full bunker gear and breathing from a BA set, competitors race against each other and the clock in a series of tasks across the course. The five tasks are:
- Climbing a 6 storey tower carrying a length of 70mm 19kg flaked hose
- Hoisting a 70mm hose coil 6 storeys
- Chopping using a 4kg shot hammer to drive a beam 1.5 metres
- Extending a charged length of 45mm hose to knock down a disc
- Dragging a life sized dummy a distance of 30.5m
The competition is a great test of skill and fitness and simulates the physical demands of real life firefighting to the public. We encourage new competitors and you'll meet a competitive, but supportive and positive, family of firefighters from across the country at each event.
Are you tough enough? There's only one way to find out...
- South Island Combat, Saturday 20 March 2021, Christchurch Airport
- North Island Combat, Friday 9 - Saturday 10 April 2021, Auckland
- National Combat, Friday 30 April - Saturday 1 May 2021, Wellington
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER for the Island events. National Combat registrations will open 1 March 2021.
Covid-19 disclaimer. Under current NZ Level One we will be progressing with planning an in-person event. Due to the evolving nature of the global pandemic we can only anticipate changes so far in advance. Should any changes be necessary these will be made with the best information available at the time of decision making and with a mind to manage UFBA funds responsibly.
You can familiarise yourself with the rules below: