Gain an understanding of fire suppression systems within locomotives and incident response to rail emergencies, including Command/Control
Steam Incorporated is a railway heritage and preservation society based at the Paekakariki Railway Station.
It owns one of New Zealand’s largest fleets of heritage passenger carriages certified for mainline operation on the regular national network.
Locomotives designated to operate passenger services (both mainline and heritage operations) are required to have fire suppression systems within their engine bays. Steam locomotives also have built-in safety features to ensure that when operating, they do not cause fires along the stretch of railway that they are travelling through.
Date: Saturday, 9 June 2018
Time: 10:30 - 16:00
Location: Paekakariki Fire Station
Dress: Smart Casual. Sturdy footwear required.
- Operational Instruction on Railways (access and electrification safety)
- Briefing on KiwiRail tunnel emergency plans
- Incident responses to rail emergencies and their Command and Control structures
- Case studies of recent fires and emergency events involving rail
- Inspection of locomotive fire suppression equipment
- Start-up procedures for steam locomotives
Terms and Conditions
- The registration fee for this Field Day is $35 per participant (this includes lunch) and is limited to 40 participants.
- The fee for this Field Day must be paid for in advance.
- Travel and accommodation costs must be met by attendees.
Download the Field Day Poster below