Your Association has an Individual Advocacy Service available, with an established network of support volunteers across New Zealand, including an experienced Advocate who works full time overseeing complaints and procedure.
This trained and experienced team work discreetly across a range of complaints and 60% of cases are resolved within 30 days. In the last 12 months they’ve handled over 109 cases on a variety of issues and continue to work on a further 25. Where it’s required, they also organise ongoing help and counselling as part of their wider network of support.
Working with all sector partners
The UFBA’s dedicated Advocacy Advisor, through the Respect and Inclusion Taskforce, has been instrumental in helping to develop the FENZ Code of Conduct and Behavioural Policies. This has been done collaboratively, alongside other Associations representing women firefighters and Pacific and Maori communities.
Privacy and Confidentiality
All those involved in a complaint can be assured that we do not discuss the details of individual cases and we are committed to the privacy and confidentiality of all involved. It is important to recognise that mediation can include representation of both the complainant and the person to which the complaint has been made against. This is part of due process and fair to all involved.
Complaint resolution can take time and may involve other factors outside of our control such as third-party investigations, where the UFBA may be part of a larger process to help resolve complaints and disputes. We are always looking to shorten the resolution timeframe without compromising a thorough process.
Reach out for support and help
For all those wishing to raise complaints we encourage you to:
- Reach out for professional help through the correct procedures put in place.
- Call the police where the nature of any offending is criminal.
- Look after your psychological wellbeing through EAP and Vitae through the numbers below.
We are here and ready to take your call. 0508 832 269.
If you are a member of a FENZ brigade you can find support here:
Safety, Health and Wellbeing (SHW) Advisors and Peer Support:
- Northern Comcen - 09 486 7948
- Central Comcen - 04 801 0812
- Southern Comcen - 03 341 0266
FREE Confidential advice and counselling
Self-referral contact details for employee assistance programmes in your region for short-term support:
- Region 1,2 and 3 Vitae Services – 0508 664 981, http://www.vitae.co.nz
- NHQ, Region 4 & 5 EAP Services – 0800 327 669, http://www.eapservices.co.nz or
- Workplace Support on 0800 443 445 (Region 4) or 0800 333 200 (Region 5), http://www.workplacesupport.co.nz
REMINDER Promoting the values together
Our sector values cannot be passively rolled out and require all regional, local and brigade leaders to promote and live by.
- We do the right thing / Kia tika
- We serve and support / Manaakitanga
- We are better together / Whanaungatanga
- We strive to improve / Auahatanga
You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in (top right) or register.