We encourage you to consider Government Covid-19 restrictions when you’re planning your Service Honours presentations. This information is written to provide an overview of the current restrictions under Levels 2 and 3 and some things to think about when planning a service honours presentation. Covid-19 remains a real ongoing risk and nobody can anticipate what may happen in weeks ahead - we strongly advise you to bear in mind that circumstances and levels can change and you need to be prepared.
Brigades should not hold any events at Level 3 alert. Fire and Emergency states that all local activities such as promotions and other small gatherings are prohibited.
Presentations can go ahead at Level 2, subject to the following restrictions. UFBA recommends that brigades consider:
- Service Honours events often include lots of people in the older, more vulnerable age range
- Actively discouraging those who are displaying any flu-like symptoms from attending
- Using masks when people are in close proximity
As a preventative measure to lessen the risk of bringing Covid to the South Island, our president will not attend North Island Service Honours presentations
Government guidelines state that gatherings must not exceed 100 people in one space (including catering/cleaning staff and contractors). Fire and Emergency guidelines state that no functions are to be held at fire stations – only staff should visit the site.
QR codes should be used for all events. To get a QR code go to NZ COVID Tracer QR codes.
For Service Honours events you should:
- Appoint a facilitator to:
- Greet people
- Ensure they use the QR code or complete details on written register (or the facilitator could do this)
- Ensure surfaces are sanitised and pen is cleaned with single-use wipe between users.
- Social distancing – maintain social distancing of 1 metre between people who don’t regularly meet with each other
- Extended cleaning procedures:
- Sanitising liquid available for frequent cleaning of surfaces (this could be a soapy water solution)
- Dispose of cleaning cloths after each use
- Recommendation: that someone is responsible for regularly cleaning toilet and basins
- Ensure each toilet has soap and paper towels, and that the bin is emptied regularly
- Catering recommendations:
- For buffet meals catering staff hold serving implements and serve food or provide individual portions
More information is available https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
If your brigade would prefer to reschedule your service honours function, please contact our Service Honours staff firstname.lastname@example.org
You must be logged in to post comments. Please log in (top right) or register.